I have heard stories about how beverages such as Coca Cola and Pepsi and their subsidiaries are processed. Stories of rats, bugs even urine from the workers being in the vats filled with the delicious liquid that we buy. Mind you they were stories, but I guess anything is possible. Along with my classmates I had a required viewing of "Food Inc." A documentary by Michael Pollan about the food industry. Wow! What an eye opener.
It is amazing to know why we are getting sick from Ecoli, Salmonella and who knows whatever else. The large corporations in my opinion do not care about the "little people" but rather money, money, money. Efficiency breeds money regardless of the outcomes. Just try proving you got sick from the "fresh" meats and or vegetables you just bought from the store.
The food industry has become an enormous entity that cannot be touched. The FDA and USDA in my oppinion are a joke. The federal organizations with NO POWER!!! They are supposed to regulate the farmers, make sure the food we eat is safe, well that isn't happening. Some of the people in control actually worked for the main companies that produce our food! Uhm, don't forget, efficiency breeds money...So the rich get richer and poor get poorer and sick! We as a society have allowed the corporate world to take over every facet of what we eat and drink.
After watching the movie, I wonder what the CEO's of the main meat producing companies eat. A good number of the FDA and USDA executive worked for individual food companies prior to going into the government. Do they eat tainted/dirty beef, pork, or poultry? Do they eat the "fresh" vegetables that have been tainted with salmonella, ecoli or some other life threatening bacteria? Or do they go to the local farmer and buy his or her home grown, grass fed products?
After watching the movie, I look at meat and other products that I buy in a different light. Like so many americans, I can't afford to buy the good stuff on a daily basis right now, but in the future I think that will change. I hope those that read my blog will rent the movie or watch it on Youtube.... It is well worth the time if you can stomach what you see. So for now, I am opening wide, for here comes the food industry.
I agree I think that to help watching the movie over and over might help
ReplyDeleteHello Tom I like your blog very interesting. You are right the fda and the orhanizations that are supposed to protect us are a joke?? They have been brought out with the money from the factoring industries. Another good point which you mention is about you not having the money right now, I can totally understand that we will get there soon!!
ReplyDeletevery detailed i see you like getting to the core of these problems nice post
ReplyDeletewatching the movie did change the way I look at my food.
ReplyDeleteLOL I JUST LOVE YOUR TITLE... BUT ITS SAD TO SAY THATS THE TRUTH
ReplyDeletethe organizations that we expect to protect us are a joke, letting these companies giving us these unhealthy food smh.
ReplyDelete