Tuesday, October 12, 2010

This writing thing ain't easy.

When I write I become engrossed in it.  I am blind and deaf to my surroundings and have gotten the (unmentionable) scared out of me.

I tend to sit down at either my laptop or my desk top and begin to write.  As I writing, I am envisioning what I am writing.  I have a VERY difficult time making outlines, I am dense when it comes to doing them.  I am trying to fix that.  Anyway, I write/type whatever comes into my head pertaining to the subject, generally adding too much information. 
After I written down everything, sometimes in the middle of my writing, I will print out what is there and proof read it.  I will look for errors, things that I need to elaborate on, get rid of or clarify.  I tend to do this a couple of times throughout my paper. This is my general way of writing

5 comments:

  1. i know what you mean about those outlines =(

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats not a bad idea... proof reading as you work on the paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever considered an outline edit? Once you've produced a rough draft, next to each paragraph jot down a word or two about that paragraph's subject. Then you can if your ideas are organized or if you should move some paragraphs around.

    My writing style is similar to yours where I just write with the flow. If an idea pops in my head, I jot it down right away, and often this leads to my papers being jumbled. An outline edit has helped many times and I prefer it to a standard outline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like what M. Bachinski said. As long as you recognize that your freewrite is not a structured essay, then you can still use it to create a structured essay.

    If you are really all over the place, then you will need to put your ideas into an outline and then see what is missing. We can talk about this in class if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like M.s suggestion. Can we talk about it quickly in class sometime?

    ReplyDelete